Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Men Can't Live With It

I've noticed a problem with society lately. I've labeled it manification. It seems that people are trying to manify things in order to justify the male genders use of it. This is an problem that stems back long long ago in our history. However to date the problem has not been as bad as it is now.

The example that first comes to mind is a commercial that has been running. I don't remember the product but it refers to itself as a hydrating body wash. Look we all know what a hydrating body wash is; it's a friggin body moisturising soap. The notion of a body wash is unmanly anyways, but somehow we men can think it manly enough if we call it a hydrating thingy. Yeah, because athletes hydrate, solders hydrate, you know hydrating is a manly thing. I've got news for you people hydrating isn't manly. Drinking is manly. Now that would be manly, a skin drinking soap.

I'm probably the most guilty of manification. I was looking for a new bed a week ago. I was laying on a queen sized to check it out. I was thinking screw this I'm getting the king sized, because well king is just more manly than queen. Problem is the king is bigger, and provides more comfort. Comfort is not manly. You know what is a manly bed; the ground.

Pop culture has taken masculinity and made it pretty much worthless. Shows like Manswers and the now gone Man Show pretty much exemplify what is wrong with masculinity now. It seems that now being a man is about having a six pack for abs, liking girl on girl action, and collection everything that is huge and over sized. No wonder the average single male owes more than 10k in credit card debt. Yes that is single male and credit card debt. What ever happened to the notion of manly being the ability to chop wood, fix stuff, and pay bills?

3 comments:

Dan said...

It became unmanly when gender roles became sexist.

Andrew said...

There's a difference between manly and chauvinist. I think most of the sexist gender role stuff falls into the later category.
I must preface my next statement with an admission that I've started listening to country music. First, there's a lot of whiny men singing. However, there's a strong lyrical tradition of identifying manliness.
Comfort of a king size bed should not be dismissed as degenerate or degrading. The comfort of a king size bed is fit for a king. It's manly to be a king, right?

Dan said...

In what way is it chauvinistic to accept gender roles? Men and women are different, anyone that doesn't believe that is deluding themselves. This difference doesn't have to result in inequality. It is inequality, and not difference that is wrong.

Here is where the difference lies, in my opinion. To tell a woman that she cannot work, or to tell a man that he cannot hug his child, but must go out and provide is wrong. To label a homemaker as somehow less of a woman, because she chooses to live her life in what some feminist cirlces see as a lesser role is just as bad.

I believe that the most important job that me and my partner in this life, my wife, have between us is raising our children. I think the person who is best for the primary role of that job is Alisa, and she agrees. I do not think it is sexist to say that her place, is in our home. It is not because she cannot be successful in the workplace, and it is not because she needs to be submissive to my will (anyone who knows Alisa should laugh at that part), it is because of the natural roles that we both believe God has given us specific abilities to fulfill.

A mother in the home is, in my opinion, one of the most vitally important things for the stability of the family. The stability of the family is one of the most vitally important things for the stability of the society. As soon as the feminist movement left its roots of equality and fairness, and entered into the realm of deciding what women 'should' be doing and what they should not, the idea of gender roles became sexist. It was, in my opinion, a horrible step for our country.