Friday, October 15, 2004

Jimmy's Definition is "Dan"gerous

I think the concerns in Dan’s response are strong concerns. In fact I share all of them. There is a strong pejorative meaning to being a racist. I also think that the negative connotations associated with being a racist are a good thing. I also think that if we throw the words racist and racism around in a non-serious fashion we dilute the impact of the negativity surrounding those words.

I do think that Dan’s position would agree though that it is a good thing to examine one’s self to see if one has racism or anything else that is bad in them. So if one is taking a serious look at one’s inside (for lack of a better word), and looking at some things and saying to one’s self that those things might be racist, I don’t think one dilutes the power of the word racist. To me the dilution comes when one says, “hey I have a racist tendency and I’m ok with it.” It’s not the identification of racism, but the lack of desire to improve as a person that dilutes the power associated with the word racism.

I am unclear as to your position on this statement; it is possible to have some racism in you but still not be a racist. I know I didn’t make it clear from my original post, but this was the underlying assumption. For instance, I can think all Asians like to eat rice. That idea might be racist (I really don’t know if it is or not), but I wouldn’t consider anyone that held that view to be a racist. My concern is where you (by you I mean I) draw the line between having racism inside of you and being a racist. For instance is it racist to feel uncomfortable around black men? Is it racist to avoid black neighborhoods? Is it racist to not date Mexican men because you feel that they won’t be faithful? There are the obvious cases such as the advocating of violence or denial of rights based on race. It’s the close calls that concern me. I find it difficult to make a line in the close cases. My strategy has been to try and eliminate all racism in me so that I never have to consider the line. Another aspect of drawing the line, to me racism depends a lot on intent. I think if you hold a belief because you feel by mere status of your race (whatever that notion is) you are better than another that is racism. But if you do it out of ignorance, I don’t know what to say on that.

On your second disagreement to my position, I think I should clarify. I think you might have misread or over applied what I was getting at. I completely agree with your statements: “The fact is that there are eternal truths.” “We should not be afraid to stand up and say X is wrong”. I completely agree that one should criticize cultures for doing evil acts. I think we need to understand the justifications for the practices before you make a judgment on it. Or in other words we need to make an informed judgment. For instance the Inuit culture’s practice of infanticide might have existed because everyone else would have died without it. Does it justify the practice? I’m going to say no but there are certainly arguments of its justification that extend beyond the mere “it’s my culture” argument.

The dilemma that enters my mind from your second response is when can we say someone is evil? For instance, there is a strong cultural norm for men in Mexico to have affairs on their wives. Both of our positions can agree that this social norm is wrong and evil. I feel very comfortable calling the men that do this evil. I think it is possible to draw a distinction between thinking someone is evil and hating them. In my faith I am called to love especially those people. When you apply your standard can you call these men evil when they continue the practice? Another example is a culture that says its ok to force sex on your wife (or Rape). I have no problem calling those who practice rape on one’s spouse evil. It would be different in some instances where the person did it and stopped doing it (don’t get me wrong the act is still evil, but I would find it harder to call the person evil). But I think in the cases where there is a social norm of rape or adultery and the person conforms to the social norm I have no problem calling them evil. Do you advocate calling the practice evil and the person not evil in these instances? Do you think you can call someone evil, period? If so what is your criteria? These are sort of unfair questions, as I have not answered them myself. But I think they are questions I need to ask to flesh out your stance.

You also made a third statement about exclusive groups. I think that exclusion, as rule is bad. I don’t think “pride” groups are necessarily bad. One good example of this is Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee (the man, the legend) advocated Chinese people taking pride in what the culture was about. The purpose of the pride though was to unite Chinese people and then teach it to others. People don’t fear what they know and understand according to Bruce. To unify so that one can show the beauty of the culture is a good thing. So any “pride” groups is a good thing if its goal is to unify a group so it can show how beautiful it is to the rest of the world. You probably feel the same way but I thought I’d just clarify this viewpoint.

Lastly there are a slew of things that really didn’t fit anywhere under your response but I think your response sort of touched on them. The primary focus of my post was to try and see how we as individuals can be better people. It wasn’t to try and develop some standard by which we judge other people. I was hoping that by this kind of discussion everyone could come up with a more thoughtful standard to apply to himself or herself (this will be discussed in the post regarding Will’s response a bit more). I see your point about by definition being too broad. You don’t have to use the word racist or racism. I think that those words are the closest approximation though. Now it is being judgmental as well but I think racism is a sub category of judgmental. I think that there is a lot of common ground between Dan’s and my point of view. However, I do feel the issues that Dan addressed (while extremely important) do little to shed light on the primary issue in the original post. What about those evaluations that are almost fundamentally just matters of preference? Beauty is a prime example. For example I know a woman that thinks white is an ugly color and thinks that brown skin is much more beautiful. I consider that racist. But that consideration is based purely on a gut feeling. I’m not comfortable basing my evaluation of racism on a gut feeling. It’s hard for me because the evaluation (or judgment) isn’t about good or evil rather it's about preference. I just don’t have a clue as to how to articulate in a logical way my gut feelings about these kinds of evaluations.

6 comments:

Dan said...

Very nice post. I think that this discussion can be very important and helpful.

I definitely agree that introspection followed by adjustment is an integral part of our progression towards what we should be, and that we need to be honest about our own shortcomings. My point was not that it should be ignored, but that in a broader discussion, people not us (is that a bad judgement?) the term racism, would in itself be harmful to the cause. People would become automatically defensive because of the pejorative meaning and therefor introspection is stifled.

Wow, how to judge if Men are evil, or if the practice is evil. This is a hard one. How would I judge if a man were evil? The only way I can think of is if a man does evil, and when the evil nature of his acts are brought before him he remains unrepentant and unchanged then he must be judged as evil. Now, the beauty of the plan (I am obviously using religious terms, unrepentantly I might add.) is that this judgment does not have to be final. If the man later sees the error of his ways and ends his evil acts, he can change what he is.

I think that this is where it ties in with the idea of racism. Judgements are not, in and of themselves, bad things. It is when the judgement of an act or practice, individual or cultural, is then reflected onto an individual that these judgements become bad (racist).

As far as cultural pride, you have hit on my point exactly. Bruce Lee is the perfect example, (at least what I know about him, admittedly this is what I saw on Dragon: the Bruce Lee story.) Lee loved his culture and wanted it perpetuated, but at the heart of that desire was a desire for others, not chinese, to see it and learn of it and appreciate it. This is an incredibly worthy goal. Those who fought against him, (again in the movie) wanted the Chinese culture to be protected and sustained, but only for the Chinese to appreciate and benefit from.

The time when I think groups like this are inherently dangerous is when the division is not based on culture, but on some false definition of "race". For instance, every black person in america assuming they have a collective "African" culture, thus labeling themselves, African-American. I think that defining oneself by "race" is inherently divisive, and has NO redeeming value.

The last example, thinking dark skin is prettier than light skin, I don't think this is a racist idea. To me this is like prefering blondes, or people with nice butts. It would only become racist if this preference led to different treatment, or thinking of the people differently. You are talking about attraction, being attracted to one over another, based on physical characteristics is just how we are.

I think the real goal would be for everyone to begin to think of skin color as nothing more than a physical characteristic. I have blond hair, I have blue eyes, I am overweight, I am white. None of these things define who I am.

Race does not exist.

RealFruitBeverage said...

I have just a couple of questions/comments regarding your response.

On judging men (and women for that matter) as evil or not I think you set up what is my base standard. That is to restate your position, as I understand it; if a person does something that is evil, knows that its evil, and continues to do it, then the person may be judged as evil. The interesting/difficult situation for me comes when you add ignorance to the system. Maybe ignorance is too permissive of a word. The kind of ignorance I’m talking about is misplaced conviction. This happens a lot with brainwashing. I’m going to use an extreme example (yes Nazis) to demonstrate the concern. Suppose a child in the Nazi youth program is trained to hate Jews. This youth truly believes that Jews are the scourge of the earth. This youth believes that it is his responsibility to systematically brutalize any Jew he sees. Even though the youth is unaware of how evil his actions are I think he is evil. Now if there is a social norm, and the person truly believes the norm not to be evil then can they be judged to be evil? For instance, culture X says its ok to rape your wife. Can we say to the people of culture X, you are some evil people? Can we judge the people to be an evil people?

On the issues of preference, I do like your perspective that it shouldn’t matter. That should be our goal always. I think that all physical attributes that do not relate to health shouldn’t matter anyways. However you said, “It would only become racist if this preference led to different treatment, or thinking of the people differently.” But my question is this; doesn’t saying that one race is more beautiful or one race is ugly imply that there is a difference in treatment and/or thinking? For instance, if you think black people are ugly, you get the position that I’d rather date a non-black person. Also the statement I think X is an ugly race just sounds racist to me. Once again I’m going with a gut feeling. Statements like Asian eyes are ugly seem racist to me. I think the source of these gut feelings comes from what the impact of such sentiments could be on the group being judged. If you have an idea that a certain people are ugly and make it know it is bound to have an impact on how that group feels about itself. You get complexes like I need to be more white, or Asian, or whatever. Any idea that makes you feel ashamed or less about what you are I think is suspect of racism. In the grand scheme of the universe no physical attribute should matter. But I’m being a realist they do matter. So you might ask what’s the point, what the big tie in? I think preference being arbitrary is in no way an excuse from examining it. It is still an evaluation based on race. It is an evaluation that is superficial at best. It is evaluation based on nothing that truly matters in the eternal scheme of things (for those of you into that eternity stuff).

Dan said...

Hey Jimmy,

Good response. I will answer your two main questions.

For the first one, I will have to get religious on you. As we (and by we I mean all who believe in the BoM) know, everyone is born with the light of Christ, the ability to know between good and evil. This is important to your example of a Nazi Youth kid. There are obviously serious problems when one is indoctrinated from youth, but the light of Christ (for shortness hereafter referred to as your conscience) is still an important part of the equation.

To your example. A child that has been in the Hitler youth. This is a hard one. I think it depends on his actions. Through his years in the youth he may be taught many things, but I think the judgement on whether or not he is evil depends on his actions. Let us take the the example further. He is older and has joined the SS he is in a concentration camp and is ordered by one of his superiors to take one of the Jewish children and smash its skull against a wall. Now, at this point there are only two possibilities, either he knows at this point that the action is evil, or he has conditioned himself to ignore the spirit/his conscience. Either way, if he chooses to do the action, he is evil.

No matter what example you choose, the person in the example will have to, eventually, come to a point where they are given a choice. If they choose the action that their conscience warns against, they have chosen evil.

To your second point about preferences. I think the problem is a more basic one. When one labels something either "my preference" or "ugly", there is a problem. I have a preference in body type, lets call it "Alisa", but that doesn't mean that all other body types should be considered ugly. If someone thinks dark skin is prettiest, that doesn't mean they think all white people are ugly. A preference is okay, it is when it becomes an uncompromising standard that is placed on all people with X.

RealFruitBeverage said...

Question regarding the issue of choice; when do you consider something a choice? It seems to me that every action the person does is a choice. Sometimes it’s not the most informed but it’s a choice is it not? A nuance of the choice argument is what if you don’t recognize what your conscience is? For instance back to the Nazi youth example. Our youth goes and in a youth patrol beats down a Jew walking the streets past curfew. He feels bad. It makes him have a clenched feeling in the chest (or whatever you associate your conscience as). He tells his buddies this. His buddies tell him that is it is just a by-product of the lies and brainwashing of the Jews. His buddies tell him that it is a weakness planted by the Jews in his mind. For whatever reason, our youth trusts his buddies and chooses to ignore his feeling. From the perspective of the youth I can see how he could make a decision to ignore his feeling even to the point he becomes desensitized to it. Is he/she evil in this instance?

Also there seems to be a bit of charge since I went to the extreme example. What about instances where the sins (for lack of a better word) are not as bad? Say drinking too much, or sloth. Do we call these people evil as well (based on the criteria you established)?

To the issue of preferences and the distinction you made; let me tweak the example a little. I’m going to be up front so you know why I’m tweaking the example. I want to create a scenario where the end results are the same but the mentality fits your definition of not racist. I’ll use a girl in this example. It’s probably rooted in some messed up psychological dilio but that’s beside the point. So we have female X, she thinks dark skin is the prettiest. When asked about white skin, she says white skin isn’t ugly and she really believes it. Ah but female X is extremely conceded. Female X will only date people with dark skin, because she feels she deserves the best. And to Female X’s credit she is really hot. But now female X can state things like well I think it’s ok to date someone with white skin but I would never do it. Now ignoring the how ugly and unattractive X becomes by being so full of herself it seems that she is fine under your definitions. Yet X can still make statements that seem bad to me.

Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your mmitb.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://magic-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://magic-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend Jennifer

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your mmitb.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com