Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Sign of My Times

About two months ago I made a fitness deal with a friend of mine (lets call him Legs of the Oak). The deal was we would both lose 50 pounds and he would run in the Layton 4th of July 5 k run, and I would run my fastest 5 k in one years time. Enough time has passed where I can make some evaluations about these goals. First thing of note is that I have not lost as much weight as I thought. Apparently the scales need to be rebalanced. I weight 210 pounds not the 195ish I was looking at on the scale. I have this feeling the next 30 pounds will be much harder to drop. I know 50 pounds sounds like a lot of mass but being down to 180 isn't so bad. I don't know how I'm going to get below 19 min 30 secs for a 5 k. I just don't think it will happen. I remember the days when I would plan a month in advance for an athletic event, now it a year. I guess that is a sign of age.

The people at my work also made me realize how aged I am. None of them knew what the heck buck buck was. Needless to say we had a lesson on how to play buck buck. A couple of sore backs later all my work buddies know the wonders of buck buck.

People at my work keep on asking me for advice to "how to get in shape". This usually translates to hey I want to get bigger. I am always at a loss of words as to how to approach the issue. Since the perspective of my age I can see the problems of wanting to get big later on in life. But my friend, I'll call him Mr. Atom, said it best, getting mass is a downhill battle, once you win its hard to stop.

5 comments:

Amber Jensen said...

50 pounds??? I bet you are wishing you wouldn't have competed in so many "all you can eat buffet contests" with Jason & Lee. You are old now, you are in your thirties! You have to work twice as hard as you used to when you want to loose weight. But I have to say, I still don't feel very sorry for you, considering it is probably twice as easy for you to loose weight than it is for me!

RealFruitBeverage said...

Hey you don't have to remind me that I'm in my thirties. My body does a good enough job of complaining. As for all those all you can eat contests, yeah those were stupid. I oft think back to those days and say the same thing a lot, "that was stupid". I had dun though and you have to have that when you are young right?

As for me losing 50 pounds; I don't plan on staying at that weight. I think 180 is a bit on the low side for me, not unhealthy, but low. I'm just doing it for run time purposes. Besides you and your sisters don't need to lose weight. Me I'm just doing it so see if I can do something else. If I did my math right it also means it was four times eaiser when I was 18 to lose weight that it is for you now. That totally means I could have gotten away with a 8000 Cal diet! Wait I think I did do that at that age. Well I guess I can't drink Mt. Dew forever.

Dan said...

Legs of the Oak???

RealFruitBeverage said...

Acutally that name is a dirivative of an old Arnold Schwarzenegger nick name. He was often refered to as Oak Legs. It is acutally seen as a huge complement in body building circles.

Itools Mobile Service said...

I like your article. Thanks for sharing... Motorola Service Center in Chennai