Monday, May 11, 2009

The Preasure of Internet Quiz

I’ve been told I’m full of surprises. I recently took a “for fun” quiz to identify where I fell on the political spectrum. The questions were in no way in depth enough to make an accurate assessment, but hey it was for fun. The end result, I am a far left liberal. This struck me as kind of odd because I fancy myself as a conservative person. From what I gather around my friends and work friends they too consider me a conservative person. So that got me thinking what makes me conservative?

I guess my long history of viewing myself as a conservative came with how my parents raised me. Most notably my parents worked me into the ground. I remember countless times hauling longs on my back, bailing hay, installing sprinklers, digging up stumps, and all sorts of things that required a lot of work. You would think that all this work created a good work ethic in me. It didn’t. I’m lazy, real lazy. What it did do is destroy any sense of entitlement in me. I felt that the world owed me nothing. The rewards I go t for my hard work was usually a Pepsi and a ham and cheese sandwich. I’m not saying that liberals don’t know work, or have a sense of entitlements, but that is just the way I perceived the world when I was developing my identity.

I got this image of the world as place that had no duty to me; it was just someplace that one worked in. The world didn’t have a moral obligation to me in anyway. My success for failure was due to the sweat of my own brow, or lack thereof. I have a much more complicated view of duty and relationships now, but fundamentally I still think that there is no inherent love due you by the world. Love and the duties that come with it are a gift of the individual. Due to the tugs and pulls of my life I became an extremist. So that is a very vague sense of what I mean by conservative and how I got there. I do realize that on some key issues I have some confusing results. I can think of three examples of me having what people might consider liberal stances, or liberal reasoning for conservative stances.

The first and strongest of my liberal stances is the current state of the war on drugs. I think we need to fundamentally rethink this one. First I’m for the legalization of marijuana. I’m also open to the idea of legalizing cocaine. There are a number of reasons people oppose the legalization of drugs, but they boil down to they are bad for you. Agreed they are bad for you. There are a lot of other things that are just as bad or worse that are legal. Cigarettes and alcohol are by far much more dangerous than both marijuana and cocaine. Additionally by criminalizing these products we have essentially given the criminals an endless supply of fiscal resources. By decriminalizing we can decriminalize the fiscal trail and structure of the drug industry. That by itself will increase stability and safety both abroad and in the United States. I noticed also that conservatives are all about minimal government until it is something they oppose, and then they want a whole lot of government. I’m not saying just drop all laws regarding drugs. In fact I’m for heavy regulation. I just think the decision to do drugs of the listed types I mentioned are a personal one which government should be the absolute arbiter of. Government should have a significant say, but that say should be relegated to consumer and public safety, not individual choice. Once again I’m not advocating the use of drugs, just its legal status.

The second issue that seems odd for some is my stance on gun regulation. I’m against gun regulations in general. I know that is a very conservative stance. However, my reasoning is odd to most people. Most gun advocates claim that guns are a positive force in society. I make no such claim. Most objective studies I’ve read are pretty inconclusive about the effects of guns in a society. What I do know is that guns and our right to have them are a part of our constitutional system. That’s right it doesn’t matter if guns are good or bad, they are a part of our system of laws on the highest level. If you want to regulate guns on the level that anti gun advocates want then make a constitutional amendment. Also this is one area where the liberal side confuses me. The goal of gun legislation has been to reduce gun violence. I would say that most anti gun advocates don’t see guns as being inherently evil. I totally agree gun violence is a bad thing. However we have the law thing I mentioned above. Also I have yet to read a report that conclusively proves that gun bans reduce gun violence. This is what I have seen. In areas where there are high levels of gun violence there are three factors that are almost universal: the presence of a drug cartel or gang, local government corruption, and poverty. Gun violence is a symptom of those factors. One of the things liberals do well is they point out that we shouldn’t treat the symptoms of a problem but try to get at its root. They seem to ignore this when it comes to gun violence. Fight poverty, government corruption, and legalize drugs as the method of gun control. I guess where I depart from the standard conservative stance on this issue is that I don’t consider guns a positive force for society. I honestly don’t know if it is or not.

Third is health care. I’m open to the idea of a national socialized health care system. Wow, I’m a pinko commie. My reasoning for this is actually pretty conservative based. The biggest factor in a successful capitalistic system is healthy competition. Healthy competition is increases as entry levels for a particular sector are low. Thus if an entry barrier to a sector is high then the likely hood of healthy competition is low. One of the sectors that are killing healthy competition in other sectors is the entry level barrier that health care places on any given sector. Somewhere along the line we made this assertion that healthcare is tied to employment. What that did is and an entry level barrier that makes large scale business very difficult. Ford Motors should be in the business of making auto products, not in the business of providing healthcare. Likewise any new business should be in the business of making stuff, or whatever they do, not providing healthcare services. Another factor to economic well being is that healthcare tied to employment is also a large risk enhancer. This by far prevents innovations because it makes the risks so high for new small business that one can’t quit their job and try something else because the risk has been increased. Lets separate this mutilated thing of our current healthcare system where care is tied to employment.

That’s about it. I’m sure there are a lot of other confusing stances I have. But in case anybody doubts I’m a conservative, I have been seriously considering adopting the stance that we should abolish social security. I have a lot of caveats to that but that stance should make me a right wing nut job right?

5 comments:

Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

I took the quiz as well, and actually thought, though the questions were awful, that it pegged me pretty well as moderate conservative, though I am incredibly conservative on some issues. I did want to just comment on the specific issues you brought up.

Gun Control, I think we pretty much agree. I do, however, think that the mantra when you criminalize guns the only ones who have guns are the criminals, is fairly common sense. Making guns illegal won't take them out of the hands of people who already disregard law.

Drugs. I can understand many of the arguments that those who are reasonable on the side of legalizing make, but I can still not bring myself to agree. Part of it is probably because I think they are inherently 'bad', but then this is the guy who frankly thinks our society would be better without alcohol and cigarettes as well (socially, legally it would be a nightmare). I also have come to the stance that our punishment system in drug crime is almost completely flawed (this from a very prosecutorially minded guy).

However, if we legalize any drugs, you must look at a couple things. First, regulation. Would they be prescription? Would they be regulated by the FDA? How would they be manufactured, sold, tested, etc.? The drugs would not, in my opinion, become cheaper, they would in all liklihood become more expensive (and your insurance isn't going to pick up part of your weed tab). This doesn't help crime, locally. Now as to the cartels, who else would the legal cocaine come from. They would become in all liklihood even richer and they would be legitimized. They would become legitimate businesses that imported legal products to the United States, that we would have a national interest in keeping fiscally sound because of all the tax revenue of this new legal product. They surely would not stop their traffic in illegal drugs: Heroin, Meth, etc. but would have legitimate business entities that would make their illegal ventures that much harder to combat. I can't get on board the idea that legalizing drugs would help, but I am not blind to the fact that the way we are fighting it now isn't successful.

I'll let the majority of the healthcare argument go and just say this. I would love to see insurance get separated from employment (even though that would mean, I am sure, much higher costs for me, my job has fabulous insurance), but I am completely convinced that the Federal Government does not have the ability to efficiently or successfully run such a large scale insurance system. If I truly believed they could do it, I might......might change my mind, but I am convinced they cannot.

*deleted because not able to edit, edited for one grammar problem that changed the meaning of a phrase*

RealFruitBeverage said...

Well Dan I can see where you are coming from on the legalizing drugs discussion.

Let me fist say I totally agree with you that drugs are bad. I also agree that smoking and drinking are bad. I would also like to point out that tobacco and alcohol are also drugs. In essence they are no different than the drugs I mentioned. Both have very addictive qualities with serious health issues associated with them. Also when it comes to social deviance I think alcohol presents a pretty good case as the king of trouble makers. I would like to point to something you wrote, “this is the guy who frankly thinks our society would be better without alcohol and cigarettes as well (socially, legally it would be a nightmare)”. Therein lays one of my big problems with our treatment of drugs. For some reason we treat tobacco and alcohol as if they are special compared to other drugs. If we are willing to tolerate these products then allowing products with similar or less hazardous results should also be tolerated (in a legal sense). Legally it has become a nightmare for the drugs I mentioned. I do think that there is an irrational stigma placed on drugs. At the very least we should be open to an honest study and debate about the hazards associated with drug in relations to the drugs we allow now. As for a regulation scheme, I have already thought of several guidelines but I am far from an expert on drug regulations and which are effective. I think it is enough at this point of this country’s drug discussion to see if we are at least willing to entertain the idea of regulation besides an all out ban.

Second I understand what you are saying about the drug cartels. However I would like to point to history on this one with our country’s experiment with prohibition. It was only on the advent of prohibition that organized crime in this country is what it is. It is not that organized crime didn’t exist before, but not on the level it did after prohibition. You are absolutely right that legalizing drugs will legitimize the drug cartels that are sending drugs to the United States. They will get richer and be able to openly spend money and buy influence. I know that seems unjust. In a way it sort of is. However it will also do other things. Once the product is legitimized, the avenues by which it is distributed will shift to legitimate ones. This is where power is taken from the criminal section. I know this seems unjust, but so does letting immigrants who got here illegally get citizenship and I’m for that too. But back to the point disempowering the criminal aspect; I also concede that even with the legalization of drugs that people will still traffic it illegally. Case in point is cigarettes; they are legal, but one can still buy black market cigarettes. However, most people don’t buy black market cigarettes because they prefer to go through legitimate channels. By decriminalizing the distribution process there will also be a decreased availability to swap goods acquired through crime to acquire drugs.

Third I would just like to restate that we need to have a real honest discussion and study about the dangers of illegal drugs in relation to legal ones. We have already decided what an acceptable level of danger and harms are. Now it is just a matter of willing to apply some constancy.

Brodie Mower said...

Why should someone be punished for what they choose to ingest?

Also, I do not agree that drugs are "bad". You should read Saying Yes by Jacob Sullum. Very interesting read.

RealFruitBeverage said...

Spidey when I make the assertion that drugs are bad I'm not talking about in a moral sense (however that is a part of my belief system). I'm talking about an actual health issue. I think there have been enough clinical studies to show the adverse effects of drugs. How bad I think is up for debate.

My question is if these drugs are less or of equal danger to drugs that are legal such as tobacco and alchool, then what is our underlying excuse to keep them in their current legal status?

I also think there are plenty of reasons to punish someone for ingesting certian things especially under certian conditions. There are to many to list but if you need an example just ask.