Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Midnight Music

I have been having trouble sleeping (I'm having doubts if I'll ever sleep normally again). So I've been listening to music again. That is to say I've been getting back into music and not just passively listening to it. I was going through a playlist of The Shins and I realized I listen to "Oh, Inverted World" more and more. I had some mixed emotions about his. The Shins are one of the few new bands I get excited for. I always thought they would develop. When I heard "Wincing the Night Away" I thought they grew as a band and produced a better album. Oddly enough I keep coming back to the first of their three albums. Is it possible for a band to make a better album that I like to listen to less than inferior work (not that any of the albums are bad)? It struck me as close to tragic as I like all the music The Shins have put out. Am I doomed to like the first the most even when a band has developed and improved? Or am I just in a mood that brings me to songs like: "Caring is Creepy", "Know Your Onion!", "New Slang", and "The Past and Pending". Then again: "A Comet Appears"," Sealegs", and "Splited Needles" are some really really good songs.


I've also made a decision my favorite "new" band is no longer Islands. Part of reason is I've heard the band has broken up and are no more. Even if they were making music I think LCD Soundsystem would take the title anyways. There are a lot of ways one could describe LCD, but I like saying they are like the Killers if the Killers were as good as they thought they were. I doubt any of my readers have heard of either Islands or LCD, but give them a try, you won't be disappointed. Also if you are looking for songs to download to see if you would be interested in LCD Soundsystem I personally like "Get Innocuous!" and "Someone Great" the most. However others have said "North American Scum" is the best.

3 comments:

Mk said...

The older songs tend to grow on ya!! And maybe you just think the newer songs are better because, well, they're newer ;O) Wait 6 months and then return to this blog to re-rank them.

Joy said...

There's a bunch of new bands out there that are great. And even more if I use your definition of new, and classify new being bands that came out about the same time as the Shins until now.

RealFruitBeverage said...

Mark: I really do think the newer songs are better. I think they are better crafted. I guess it is sort of like the reason why I like hot dogs over many other foods.

Sherpa: Yeah I have a big tent when it comes to what I consider new bands. I'm getting really excited about music now. I think I took a down turn in my music interest when I was low on cash, sort of funny how that plays out. My friends are trying to get me into Vampire Weekend, I'm resisting but I think I will. You're lucky to have the DC music scene, which is way better than AK; then again I can't think of one that isn't better than AK.