Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Dreams of the Woman of your Dreams

I’ve run into this case scenario a lot. There is a guy and girl couple. The guy is having a perfectly normal day and thinks everything is fine. However after the first few moment of the day it turns out that the girl is very very upset at said guy. The guy can’t figure it out. He runs through his head to see if he did anything wrong, and low and behold he can’t think of anything. Well nothing to justify this level of anger. Since this guy is very concerned about this girl he keeps asking what is wrong. Finally, still angry mind you, she tells him. He cheated on her (wow that is horrible you should feel ashamed!). In a dream she had that night (say what? what?Me confused, me no understand, me go start fire now with sticks and rocks.). After telling him this she is still mad, and still feels justified in the way she feels; for a dream. Let me say that again for a dream. You know dream a thing that didn't actually happen.

The female of the species has always been a mystery to me. I want just say that this is string of isolated incidents but the more couples I meet, the more of this dream cheating anger I have encountered. The odds of such an event seem to go up exponentially if the couple is married. I know of one case where the dream event got so out of hand that when the wife woke up she punched her husband. I’m starting to believe that this is some kind of general trend. I always wonder how come women don’t have dreams where their other cooking, washing dishes, and mowing the lawn. Does the effect work in reverse? When a woman has a dream that is really nice about her other does she feel really good about him for at least the day? Even though he never really wrote a wonderful peom about her and sang it to music he wrote? With flowers even.

I know that people are entitled to feel how they want but it seems odd to hold something against someone for something that was not their fault at all, a creation of your own, and most importantly never happened! When I talked to some women about the issue they could give me no good reason why the anger/madness towards the partner was justified. However they didn’t seem to have any sense of remorse over it. It was like saying to me, yeah I know I’m crazy, but you’ll just have to deal with it. From my experience men don’t have these types of dreams often. When they do they seem to have a different kind of reaction.

I wonder if this is a topic I will just never understand.

3 comments:

Mk said...

well here you go trying to throw logic onto emotion. I agree, to the male mind this situation a complete unjust... mindfuck. However, to females it's not quite as alien. The problem was when you asked for "reasons" to explain it. It kind of reminds me of William James (which you made me read, jerk!!). Now I just HATED the idea when I first read it that logical arguments aren't so powerful since people are emotionally driven and justify with "reason" but lately it's made more and more sense.
As for being entirely lost on the topic of women, you're not alone. There's a group which has been getting more and more popular lately that refers to women as "the mystery of the universe" and have dedicated a lot of time to studying their psychology for about a decade now. You might be interested. Check out "the Game" by Neil Strauss. It's one of those life-changing true stories, or so I'm told.

Dan said...

Alisa just wanted to point out that not every woman is like this.

Just for reference.

RealFruitBeverage said...

First MK, I technically didn't "force" you to read anything. You know WJ is a good read. I one first encounters him in their philosophical journey one resists, but as one ages and advances one tends to become more receptive.

Second Dan or Alissa; I'm not saying all women are like that, but I am saying that I've seen this trend. I thought it common and funny enought to write about. Also I've noticed a lot of trends and oberservations recently that has made me rethink my ideas about women in general but not in paticular.