Sunday, January 07, 2007

What I think about in the shower.

Where I am at right now I am constantly surrounded by people. Generally that is not a bad thing as I like people. However I do like to have moments of solitude. Solitude gives me time to reflect on the things that move my life, inspire me, and in general develops the big picture perspectives that will probably dominate the little things in my life. One place nobody will talk to you and where you can get some alone time is the shower. It just seems odd to talk to someone as they are getting ready to and taking a shower. So what has been on my mind as of late?

The thing that constantly keeps coming up in my mind is the Sudan. I've been tracking this issue/area for some years now. I'm nowhere near an expert on the region. But it is a compelling issue. I remember at one time Will and I had a four hour plus conversation about the Sudan being on the UN human rights council. Granted it was a mix of topics but, the catalyst for the talk was what was going on in the Sudan. I have also been impressed by Time's early (relatively speaking) response to what has been going on in Dafur. The issue itself has been leading me to draw some conclusions about humanity, the region, and the people of the United States. So what's been going on in Sudan?

To say the situation is complicated would be an understatement. Sudan is divided into three regions: North, South, and West (Dafur). The gist of it is this, the North has had most of the infastructure and money. Using it's money it has gone and developed military power. In that process due to drought a land war ensued between the North and South. The problem was further exastrabated when oil became an issue in the South. The South developed militia and warlords to counter the aggression of the North. Until recently the South was a war zone. The North was unable to maintain military operations in the South. The zone was left in shambles. Now there is a ounce of stability in the South. The South has a vote coming up on whether or not they will be a part of the Sudan or their own country. The South has the largest oil reserves in the region. The only way the South gets to hold this vote is if it can maintain subility until the vote. Current proxy fights are on the rise in the South. Oil development has mainly been backed by the Chinese and has been an economic boom to the North (however everyone and there dog has their hand in the cookie jar). The picture is much worse in Dafur. The conflict eventually made its way to Dafur. The North used its troops and a proxy called the janjaweed to do the business of genocide. Some estimates have totaled the death count at 300,000. I believe the number is lower than that but not by much. According to some figures over a million people have been displaced from their homes and are now unwelcome refugees. These refugees have an increased mortality rate and more or less live in misery. The important thing is that genocide is happening/happened. If you are reading this I'm pretty sure that you know about the Sudan and that I've glossed over how bad it really is. So what does this mean to me?

The Sudan has been more of a back drop for my thinking than anything else. There have been many excuses used to explain why we (the United States) haven't done anything: the AU is already on it (yes but they are failing and have admitted so), we simply don't have the resources to commit to the area, the situation is to complicated and a wait an see approach might be the best option (unfortunately I think this might have some truth to it), and the list goes on and on. Regardless of the force of these excuses I have been drawing some conclusions that I hope are not true. A while a go the situation in Rwanda set off an outrage in the US. Congressmen said that this must never happen again. In fact if you ask, most people would say that genocide should be stopped. So what's the deal?

Even if all the excuses for action where taken away I am beginning to believe that the US would still do nothing. I'd hoped that such was not the character of my nation, but I am starting to lose faith. Harry Reid stated that US troops should only be used to ensure American interest. I've always had mixed views about Mr. Reid. But his statement I think is emblematic of the way this country feels. Hey if it going to cost us something then forget it. This lead me to believe that genocide to this country is like a piece of really expensive furniture that is horrible. Nobody likes to look at it in the house, but nobody wants to go through the effort and cost of getting rid of it. Simply put all that talk about Rwanda was just lip service. We say those things because we know in our hearts that is what is right. At the end of the day however, we choose not to listen to our inner light and choose to wallow in the filth that has become our comfortable lives. Ed Murrow feared that TV would be used to insulate us from horrible things. He felt that the networks were wrong to think that people didn't want to see or hear about horrible things. He feared that the networks would only shield us from seeking our light. I fear that Mr. Murrow as wrong about the people. How much shame does it take for action? I know this, we can do something but we choose not to because the cost is to high. But what is that cost? I believe it to be comfort. We have sold our integrity and honor for a cushion and laughs. I hope I'm wrong.

On the plus side the US government has pledged $40 million in political and humanitarian aid for the area. I think however that money is not going to solve the problem, and I hope that it is not a way for use to silence our guilt with dollars.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Unfortunately I think your worst fears are correct. However, I don't think lazy comfort is the only perpetrator.

I think that if asked, most Americans would say that 300,000 dead in an African country are not worth 3,000 soldiers lives.

I am the first to say that every soldiers life is important, however, I cannot subscribe to the notion that it is better to let hordes die, then send soldiers to an area where they will be in harms way.

Oh, and by the way, welcome back James Tiberius. Blog on.

RealFruitBeverage said...

Dan I think you hit part of the reason why inaction seems to be in the wind. Another part of the reasons why I think the US doesn't care is that they are Africans/Black. I have always been of the opinion that a black person's life is valued less in this country (not that it has any less value). Also there is an alarming amount of people that say hey it is there problem. This and another myrad of excuses pisses me off because I think it is a way for people to morally justity their inactions. I just want them to say and admit, hey I don't think the lives of the people of whatever country are worth my sacrafice. I think the idealist in me is begining to resurface again wich is dangerous thing. I tend to be a bit more militant, but maybe that's what the world needs.

Dan said...

I am not going to claim that racism is not still a fairly prevelent force in this country, heck I lived in the South for two years remember. However, I think this has much more to do with culture than race.

I believe this country would be more eager to engage in a conflict in Europe, not primarily because the similar tone of skin, but because the culture is one that it becomes much easier to empathize.

It is easier to put yourself in anothers position when your lives are similar. Most americans understand very little of other cultures, so when it is different beyond any sort of 'acceptable' line, it becomes foreign. Not foreign as in geographically foreign. Foreign as in, how can kids that are 12-16 get married, or how can someone drink cows blood.

It is a fairly common concept in anthropology for a group to think of themselves as 'people' and everyone else as 'the other'. In fact many cultures names for themselves and outsiders mean exactly those two things.

I think that it becomes easier to include people in 'the group' when you see similarities, and yes one of those is ethnicity. But I think it goes deeper than that. Not that that makes it better, just different. It still is nauseating to me to see the blatant unwillingness to help others out of the idea of 'not in our national interest'.

I wish intellectual honesty would kick in and there would be an admission that it is out of selfishness.